Current Job Postings
You can come into the library to pick up a job application from the Customer Service Desk, or you can download and print a copy here.
Bring your completed handwritten application to the library.
All qualified applicants will receive considerations for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
Customer Services Coordinator
(Full-Time, Non-Exempt Position that reports to the Library Director or Deputy Director)
This position is responsible for the development, planning, organizing, directing and evaluating of activities for the Customer Services Department. This includes providing high-quality service for the public, managing the customer service staff, and being responsible for the expeditious circulation of all library materials to and from the public. The position also requires using and recommending improvements to the ILS, managing cash receipts, and creating reports and maintaining records.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Oversees and supervises all activities occurring within the Customer Services division.
• Designs, coordinates and supervises a new membership program
• Directly responsible for the timely movement of materials to and from the public and monitoring of all circulation transactions, reserves, registrations, requests and records and the effective functioning of automated circulation.
• Monitors all aspects of overdue retrieval and fine collection, including oversight of receipts, and forwarding of all fines, fees, rental and deposit monies to the Business Manager for deposit.
• Makes determination on collection agency referrals, reviews replacement cost for lost and damaged materials, and takes appropriate steps to have missing or damaged items withdrawn or replaced from the collection.
• Monitors the daily operation of the ILS and acts as the local liaison with SWAN for all customer service issues.
• Resolves internal and external customer service issues. Responsible for initial handling of patron concerns or complaints at the front desk.
• Coordinates with the library’s Marketing and Graphic Design Technician to disseminate content on the library’s web site, social media sites, newsletter, and traditional outlets.
• Responsible for developing, implementing, administering and reviewing relevant policies and procedures. Assists with the development of annual goals and objectives.
• Assists in selection of all personnel assigned to circulation division. Trains, supervises, schedules and evaluates all personnel within this division. Responsible for the instruction of staff in new divisional procedures, programs or promotional campaigns, and new automated procedures.
• Chairs and participates on committees as designated by the Library Director.
• Engages in professional development appropriate to patron services and circulation, including reviewing current professional journals, attending professional workshops and meetings; and communicating with peers in other library settings. Develops and conducts staff meetings for circulation staff.
• Is responsible for scheduled routine evening and weekend coverage of the front desk. Routinely functions as Manager-on-Duty.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• See, understand, and act upon library trends and technologies that will positively impact the library’s users and community
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the Library Director, the Administrative team, and other library team members and patrons
• Strong background in computing skills: word processing, publishing software, and spreadsheets
• Ability to communicate effectively, patiently and courteously with a diverse group of people
• Ability to utilize supervisory and leadership skills in order to maximize the teams’ strengths as well as facilitate professional growth
• Demonstrated patience and skill in dealing with the general public
• Ability to speak before groups
• Applies problem solving abilities to appropriate circumstances; routinely addressing complaints and resolving problems.
• Requires the skills and knowledge that would be acquired with a MLS/MLIS
• Four years of increasingly responsible professional library work, preferably with experience in library circulation control work.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and be in possession of a safe and working vehicle with proof of automobile insurance.
Accepting resumes with cover letters until May 26, 2017
Send to attention:
No faxes please.
Reports To: Customer Service Manager
Classification: Non-Exempt, Part-Time
Assists in the Library’s daily efforts to maintain an atmosphere conductive to reading, quiet study and other purposes deemed appropriate by Library policy. Monitors patron activity in all areas of the library, inside and out. Confers with Library personnel at regular intervals regarding the behavior of Library patrons. Responds to specific requests from Library departments for assistance with behavior problems, security problems, and unattended children. Calls police when appropriate. Performs other tasks as assigned.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Ability to communicate tactfully, firmly and effectively with the public, especially in troublesome situations.
• Ability to speak, read, and write English fluently.
• Good listening and strong observational skills.
• Ability to work well independently.
• Ability to remain calm but purposeful in stressful situations.
• Ability to work successfully with many different personality types.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to public relations issues.
• Ability to project a firm and competent image to the public.
• Friendly, welcoming, and customer service oriented.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPOINTMENT:
• Must be 18 years or older.
• Must have a valid Blue Card.
• Part-time, up to 18 hours per week.
• Willingness to work evenings and weekends.
• Attentive to details and is able to assess troublesome situations.
• Understands and accurately follows Security and Library policies and procedures.
• Process improvement.
*Core Competencies must be understood and met within the 90 day Probation Period.
Send a cover letter and resume by e-mail to:
Customer Service Manager