Tax Resources and Information
There are numerous free options available for taxpayers to obtain tax products, tax preparation and assistance in filing their tax returns:
- Forms and instructions are available online.
- The library will have paper copies of a limited number of popular forms available for free. We may also have a master book of current federal forms available for reproduction. Library staff can assist you in finding and printing tax forms, although legal and ethical codes prohibit staff from giving income tax advice or opinions. Normal printing and copy fees will apply to all tax forms printed from the internet or photocopied. (Some printed forms may not be available until late February.)
- Depending on your age or income, you may be eligible for free tax preparation services — see specific information below.
The IRS will begin accepting tax returns on Jan. 28. The deadline to file this year is April 15. Individual and business taxpayers no longer receive paper income tax packages in the mail from the IRS. The IRS has taken this step because of the continued growth in electronic filing and the availability of free options to taxpayers, as well as to help reduce costs.
Contains a wealth of federal tax information and resources.
800-829-3676 request forms (1-800-TAX-FORM)
800-829-1040 tax information (individuals)
Federal forms and instructions. Also includes forms from previous years.
Forms may also be available at the local IRS office:
14479 John Humphrey Dr.
Orland Park, IL 60462
Office information: 708-873-8310
Make appointment: 844-545-5640
Mon‐Fri 8:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M. and Closed Saturday & Sunday
The Earned Income Tax Credit, EITC or EIC, is a benefit for working people with low to moderate income. To qualify, you must meet certain requirements and file a tax return, even if you do not owe any tax or are not required to file. EITC reduces the amount of tax you owe and may give you a refund.
Popular Federal Forms
IRS form 1040 has been redesigned. Forms 1040EZ and 1040A will no longer be used for 2018 returns.
- Form 1040 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040.pdf) | Instructions (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf)
- Form 1040X (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf) | Instructions (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf)
- Form W-4 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf)
- Form W-9 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf)
Do your federal taxes online with IRS Free File (https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free).
State tax forms. Also includes forms from previous years.
Contact Center: 800-732-8866
Forms may not be requested through the Contact Center until mid-February.
Forms may also be available in mid-February at:
James R. Thompson Center – Concourse Level
100 West Randolph St.
Chicago, IL 60601-3274
Popular Illinois State Tax Forms
- The forms can be found here (https://www2.illinois.gov/rev/forms/incometax/Pages/individual.aspx) when they are available.
Filing your Illinois taxes online for free:
According to the My Tax Illinois site: Beginning December 12, 2018, MyTax Illinois is not accepting new or saved Individual Income Tax Returns (IL-1040) at this time. Please check the Illinois Department of Revenue website at tax.illinois.gov for the most current information about MyTax Illinois and Illinois Individual Income Tax forms availability.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE)
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who make $55,000 or less, persons with disabilities, people who are age 60 or older and limited English-speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
For an appointment, please call 211 or visit the IRS Tax Return VITA website.
VITA Volunteers will be available at two of our branches:
IRS Free File provides options for free brand-name tax software or online fillable forms plus free electronic filing. Everyone can use Free File to prepare a federal tax return. Taxpayers who make $66,000 or less can choose from 20 commercial software providers. There’s no income limit for Free File Fillable Forms, the electronic version of IRS paper forms, which also has free e-filing. IRS Free File website here. (https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free)